Saturday, December 21, 2013

The day that changed everything...

August 8 was the big day.  I remember those minutes (felt like hours) waiting for the test line to dry like it was yesterday. 

There were signs I should have noticed, but somehow I missed them, even when I was looking for signs. August 4-6, AJ and I went to Vegas to celebrate him being done with taking the California bar. (Boo Cali bar, yay! Vegas)  

At breakfast, there was hot sauce on our table and I could not stand the smell. Like, it couldn't even be on our table, he had to move it to another table.  Then I had a mini (AJ would say not so mini) meltdown one day.  All out of the ordinary for me, but I didn't pay mind to it. I guess I was just looking for the typical symptoms like nausea. 

Anyways, back to August 8. I couldn't sleep at all. When I finally gave in to the fact I wasn't getting any more sleep, I thought, "hey, I'll just take a test, it's probably too early to know for sure, but I have a few lying around." So at around 5am, I snuck out of bed and went to the bathroom.  Peed on the stick. Wait, wait, wait.  Only anyone who has ever taken a test knows how long those 3 mins are, all the things that run through your mind, the emotions you go through.  

3 min alarm beeps on my iPhone.  I look at the test..and...
Umm, what is that?? Just enough of a second line to drive me bat shit crazy and not be able to concentrate at work, that's what that is.  But everyone says with these sensitive tests, if you see a line within the time limit, you're pregnant, even a faint one. So, I ran into the bedroom to show AJ, who was dead asleep and not too happy about being woken up to see a "kinda" line.  

Me: AJ!! DO YOU SEE THIS?! Is it a line?? I think it's a line! 
Him: (grumble, grumble) kinda, I dunno, maybe. I'm going back to sleep. (He really likes his sleep)

So I tried to go about my normal day at work (good luck with that) and then caved and just ran to the CVS to get another test. I was prepared to pee on sticks all day until I got a more definite conclusion.  Oh and yeah, taking a pregnancy test the bathroom at the law firm where you wok is every bit as awkward as it sounds... drum roll...
That was enough of a line for me to call it. I'm pregnant!! We're going to have a baby!! Now how am I ever going to get any work done today?? 

AJ said he wouldn't believe it until he saw it written on a digital, even though I knew I was.  But there's nothing like seeing those little words, so...

We were in a state of shock for a while.  Again, I had all those cute little plans of how to tell your husband and your close family and, in the end, I've learned I'm a blurt-it-all-out kinda gal. I cannot keep a surprise a secret for more than about 39 minutes. 

That weekend we went to a music festival that we love called Outside Lands  and we were just on cloud nine.  I got to eat all the delicious food I wanted, AJ got a designated driver and baby D got to jam out to some great music while it was busy multiplying into tons of cells.  Life was good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment