Monday, June 30, 2014

The Birth Story! (Part 1)

The Birth Story of Baby Alexander

My birth story wouldn't be complete without the prologue to the birth story, which I'll write about in more detail at some point.  My sister and Alexander's godmother, Denise, my Mom, and my Dad flew to California early to be here for Alexander's arrival and they took such great care of me in the last days before the birth date.  It's a time I'll always look back on so fondly. 

Now to the big day... 

Thursday, April 17 was my last OB appointment and my mom and sister came with me.  Dr. Amy checked me and I was not dilated or effaced, but I was "soft".  I had been losing a little mucus plug here and there (little did I know how much of that stuff there actually is!)  Alexander was nice and comfy in there and was not ready to get out just yet.  I was measuring a little small - 36 weeks, but she said that was no reason for concern.  She let me know that part of standard procedure once you go past your due date was to get non-stress tests (NST) at labor and delivery at the hospital.  I was in denial that Alexander would go too far overdue, but I made an appointment for the following Monday for an NST. 

Over the Easter weekend, we went on walks, gardened, grilled on Easter Sunday and all excitedly anticipated Alexander's arrival.  I woke up every morning thinking this would be the day and went to bed each night thinking "maybe tomorrow."  After some induction accupressure by Denise, I lost a little more mucus plug and felt maybe a few contractions, but they pittered off.  


(Hubby and I doing some yard work to pass the time)

(The whole family in California (except for Mark)). 


Sunday, April 20 - My due date came and went.  The days leading up to Baby A's arrival were exciting and exhausting all at once.  I was starting to get swollen and uncomfortable and really wanting him out, but at the same time, I wanted the little guy to come when he was ready. I kept telling myself to just relax and go with the flow, but it was SO hard to relax knowing that any day could be the day that I become a mom.  I was in this surreal limbo where I was looking forward to, but dreading labor but at the same time.   In the same way, I wanted to not be pregnant anymore.  I wanted the discomfort, the huge belly, the swollen fingers, the uncomfortable sleep to just go away, but at the same time, I was really feeling sad that I wouldn't have him in my belly anymore, wouldn't feel his kicks, his hiccups and those rolling movements that let me know he was doing fine in there.  

(Denise and I folding baby clothes.  One of the many activities to pass the time) 

Monday, April 21 - With no sign of impending labor (no contractions, cramps, tiredness, nothing), we went about our usual day. AJ went to work and I made plans to go to my nonstress test appointment with mom and sister. When we got to L & D, they hooked me up to a machine that measures Alexander's heartrate, movements and any contractions.  Everything looked great.  They watched the little jagged lines rise and fall consistently and told me that he was doing fine and we made an appointment for Wednesday.  BUT, they said, you need to go get an ultrasound first to get checked there too. 

So, down the hall we went to the ultrasound room. The ultrasound tech was joking with us and telling Denise how much she loved being an aunt, but then she got serious when she started taking some measurements.  "This baby needs to come out," she said.  "I know, right?" I said, thinking she was just empathizing with an overdue pregnant lady.  "No, I mean this baby REALLY needs to come out.  Today." she said.  She printed out some results and walked me back down to triage and got the nurse who had just did my NST.  The nurse looked at me and said, "Looks like you're having a baby today."  I kinda stood there in disbelief.  She told me my amniotic fluid levels were at a 2 (the usually like to see it from 7-20) and that I would need to be induced today.  She told me I had to go straight upstairs to get admitted so they could start the induction. 

WTF?! I thought. Then my mind started racing with a million thoughts: "I'm not ready.  But I am!  I get to meet my baby soon.  But AJ is at work!  I haven't eaten, I don't even have my hospital bag with me.  Why didn't I take my hospital bag?! There goes my whole birth plan.  There goes that moment of water breaking and telling AJ "it's time!" There goes laboring at home in my tub listening to Bon Iver with my headphones.  Shit! I didn't even research induction methods.  How do they do that again? Cytotec? Pitocin.  Oh no, the dreaded pitocin contractions.  Will I be able to do it naturally?  Will it lead to a C-section like I had seen over and over in The Business of Being Born? Are they trying to scare me into induction? Will I get to labor in the tub like I had dreamt of."  

But in about 1 minute, I let these thoughts come and go. I acknowledged my worry and then just let it go.  I was surprisingly calm and came to terms that this little guy was going to be joining us soon.   Maybe not in the way I imagined, but I would just go with the flow. 

I called AJ and said very calmly.  "Hi babe.  I'm at the hospital.  You should come home.  I'm getting induced.  See you soon!"  

This is also one of the many, many times that I saw how valuable it was to have a doula.  When I told Zoe what was going on, she recommended that I ask them if I could go home and collect my thoughts and my physical things and also try to eat something as I wouldn't be allowed to as soon as I was admitted.  At first, they said no, but they called my doctor who said I could go home and get my things and then come back. 

I went home.  Tried to eat some toast and chicken noodle soup.  It was all so surreal.  This was the last time I'd be at home pregnant.  My last pregnant meal.  The next time I'd walk into the house, it would be as a mom.  With a baby.  




The drive to the hospital was nothing like in the movies.  My parents helped us pack the car and AJ drove the 10 minutes to the hospital very calm and collected. (Well, AJ told me after that he was secretly freaking out!). 

5:00 pm - Check into the hospital.   This took FOREVER.  For as serious as they were when I arrived and they weren't going to let me leave, everything else seemed to move in slow motion.  

8:00 pm - First dose of Cytotec, which is used to soften the cervix.  I hadn't researched cytotec at this point and I'm glad I didn't.  It turned out to work really well for me and I didn't have any complications, so I'm a little glad that I didn't get on my iphone and start researching. 

Dr. Amy came by around 8pm and I was still 0 centimeters dilated.  Looks like things will take a while.  She said that she would see me before her office hours tomorrow at 8am.  I was thinking 8am, I'm still going to be pregnant then?! I asked her what if I have the baby before then and she seemed pretty sure that I wouldn't have a baby before then.  

I started having contractions about 15 minutes later, but they were pretty mild and spread out.  I tried to sleep, but was way too excited to sleep. The family and Zoe went home to get some rest and AJ slept on the couch.  We turned on some relaxing music and I tried to rest while timing my contractions. 

Zoe, the doula and I getting ready for a long night: 




1 comment:

  1. Such an amazingly sweet life moment to capture and share. He is so handsome. GOD bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete